How do I decide what size cremation urn is right for my needs?
Follow this calculation to determine the approximate required urn capacity:
The following example is for a 70 kg (154 pounds) person.
- 1 kg = 2.2 pounds
Example (70 kg X 2.2 = 154 pounds)
- 1 pound body weight = 1 cubic inch ash (1 pound of body weight will yield just less than 1 cubic inch of ash)
Example (154 pounds = 154 cubic inches)
- 1 cubic inch = 0.016 litres
Example (154 cubic inches X 0.016 = 2.46 litres)
In the example above a 70 kg (154 pounds) person will need an urn capacity of approximately 2.46 Litres.
Urn sizing notes:
- The 1 to 1 ratio of Weight to Cubic Inches will ensure you purchase an urn that is the right size 99% of the time.
- Urn capacity can only be too small. An urn is only too big if you think it is too big.
- Cremated remains (ashes) can vary in amount due to different cremation processes.
How to fill a cremation urn?
Filling a cremation urn is a very simple procedure and can be done at home. However, some may find this an emotionally daunting process. If this is the case, most funeral homes will perform this service for you at no charge. It may also be helpful to call on a friend or family member to help out throughout this process.
All our urns are delivered with step-by-step instructions. Below are two images (with and without lid) where you can see how the ashes will be filled and 'sealed', underneath every urn.